Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Big Ole' Birthplace of America

June 27th - Mac finally got his fork replaced today earlier than expected, at about 12:00 rather than 2:00. However, due to our usual slowness in doing pretty much everything that doesn't require pedaling, we were out of Fargo at about 1:45. I don't remember much about this day other than it was soooooo much more humid than I was used to. While a person from the Deep South would've felt at home in this blanket of humidity, I felt like I was suffocating on the moisture in the air. Luckily it was only 85 degrees out, and the sun wasn't out, so the humidity wasn't quite as bad as it could have been. To be honest, I don't remember much from this day because I zoned out for pretty much the entire ride. The only things I remember is this: in Minnesota the towns became more frequent and larger - about one town per 8 miles. The other thing I remember is that the landscape became more varied with much more trees, hills, and lakes (after all it is the "Land of 10,000 Lakes"). Overall, the 67 miles we rode passed quickly, and we arrived in camp at 6:00 - not too shabby for leaving so late. Oh, the other thing I remember is that the mosquitoes are bad in Minnesota - really bad. I was swarmed with the vermin from the instant I entered camp to when I went to sleep. Luckily, Mac and I were able to keep the mosquitoes out of our tent.
WRITTEN BY: DREW GOTTMAN

June 28th - Swan Lake Campground-St.Cloud
We got out of camp by 8:15 this mourning, which is a new record for us. We had to in order to tackle out 109 mile day though.... We started off the mourning getting to a bike path that was a half mile into a gravel road. Once we got onto the bike path however, it was smooth sailing for 90+ miles (that's right! 90 miles of bike path!) The wind was at our backs and we only stopped three times the whole day. There were a lot of lakes in the beginning of the day but almost none as the day progressed We stopped to eat at a town called Alexandria, and, on our way out we saw a giant viking with "Alexandria: Birthplace of America" written on his shield, we just laughed and took some pictures. His name was Big Ole' and he was built in 1964. Tomorrow we will be in Minneapolis and will be meeting up with the Jettride, it has come so fast I can't believe it. We would like to thank Lorelei Anderson and her family (again) for getting us an awesome hotel room! It was super nice of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment